Welcome Guest [Log in]

Please note: I am no longer actively posting to this blog. My blog has moved to http://jimklein.org

Jim Klein :: Weblog :: Nook Color 1.2 Update on a Rooted Nook Color

May 05, 2011

A week or so ago, Barnes and Noble released a significant update to the Nook Color, version 1.2. This version offers a number of enhancements, including updates to Android (Froyo), the addition of Flash in the web browser, and a new app store for B & N sanctioned applications (roughly 130 of them - mostly non-free). If you are using a rooted Nook Color, there are a few things you should know before proceeding with an upgrade to 1.2:

• At this time there is not a good root kit for version 1.2. The kits that are available are still very buggy and/or difficult to use - difficult enough as to prevent me from recommending any or provide instructions.
  • The only real upgrade path at the moment is to restore your Nook Color to a stock (non-rooted) version of the Nook Color software. This means that, while you will be able to use the new features of Nook Color 1.2, you will not have access to Market, Google Applications, or any of the other benefits of a rooted Nook Color.
  • In order to apply the upgrade, ALL DATA must be wiped from the Nook Color. This does not include the SD card, just the internal storage. You will lose any apps you have installed, and any books/magazines/etc you have subscribed to will have to be redownloaded (for free - B & N will not double-charge you).

If you are OK with these conditions, proceed with the following steps. If not, then please be patient - I'm sure a good Nook Color root will be out soon.

Part 1 - Download the files you will need

For this install, we're going to need an application called Rom_Manager and a stock 1.2 zip file that contains the update we want. Download the following files on your computer:

Next, plugin your Nook Color to your computer using the cable provided by Barnes & Noble. The Nook should automatically mount both its internal storage and the installed microSD card under My Computer (Windows), Finder (MacOS), or Nautilus File Manager (Linux). Locate the two files you just downloaded and copy both files to the microSD card on your Nook. The microSD card is fairly easy to identify, it will be the removable device that IS NOT named "media". For example, on a Mac, the microSD card will probably be names "NO NAME" (unless you renamed it somewhere along the way). Once you have copied the files, eject both the Nook (media) and microSD card properly (check your operating system's online help if you don't know how to do this) and unplug the Nook.

Now we need to install a file manager app, so that we can find the files we just downloaded on the Nook. I like OI File Manager for this. On your Nook, tap the up-arrow at the bottom, then Market, then the search button (at the top - looks like a magnifying glass), and search for "OI File Manager". Install the app once you locate it. When this is done, either restart your Nook (hold down the power button and power off, then power back up) or use Advanced Task Killer (see my prior post) to kill the "com.bn.nook.applauncher".

Now that that's complete, your ready to get started installing the software.

Part 2 - Install ClockworkMod Recovery

Note: If you have installed an overclock kernel on your Nook Color according to my prior instructions, skip to step 7

1. Tap the up-arrow at the bottom, then Extras, and then tap on NookColor Tools
  2. At the top, you will see a checkbox titled "Allow Non-Market Apps. If it isn't already checked, tap to check it. If it is checked, tap to uncheck it, then tap to check it again. Trust me, this sounds silly, but I have seen instances where the box is checked, but the Nook doesn't seem to know it :)
  3. Next, tap the up arrow at the bottom again, and tap Extras, followed by OI File Manager
  4. Locate "ROM_Manager.apk" and tap to install it.
  5. Restart your Nook or kill the launcher app again, so that ROM_Manager will appear in Extras
  6. Tap the up-arrow, then Extras, then ROM_Manager
  7. Tap Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and choose "Nook Color" when prompted to confirm phone model. Note that the version should be 3.0.2.x 
  8. When this is complete, tap Reboot into Recovery

Part 3 - Flash the Stock 1.2 zip file and Wipe All Data

OK, your Nook Color is going to reboot into recovery mode, which will probably be unlike any you have ever seen. While in recovery mode, the touchscreen is not used - instead, we'll use all of the buttons on the Nook to navigate. The volume up/down buttons go up and down in the list, the "n" button selects an item, and the power button goes back to the previous menu. Follow these steps to install the update:

1. Press the volume down button to select "install zip from sdcard" and press the "n" button to select
  2. Press the volume down button to select "choose zip from sdcard" and press the "n" button to select
  3. Press the volume up/down buttons to select update-nc-stock-1.2-keepcwm-signed.zip from the list, and press the "n" button to select
  4. Choose "Yes" to install, and wait for the install to complete. Will be a few minutes
  5. When done, press the power button to go back to the main menu, select "Wipe data/factory reset", and press the "n" button to select. Choose "Yes" to wipe data, and wait for the process to complete.  Important: You MUST wipe data on your Nook Color, or it will not boot when you restart it, and will require a bunch of extra steps to recover. Trust me: wipe your data.
  6. When done, select "reboot system now", and press the "n" button to reboot. If your Nook Color is unresponsive, hold down the power button until it turns off, then power it up normally.

Once your Nook has restarted, the upgrade will be complete! Note that it will operate as if it were brand new. You will have to re-register with Barnes and Noble and go through the entire setup process.

Keywords: Android, Nook, Nook Color, Root

Posted by Jim Klein | Share This

Comments

1. Thanks as always for your great posts Jim. I was looking forward to auto-nooting the most recent update, but will wait per your instructions. (Honestly, i just can't follow the instructions on XDA. They scare the heck out of me.) In the meantime, the real reason I was looking forward to the update was to use flash so I could watch a bit more than just youtube on my NC. My iPad-owning friends like to point out that they have that luxury.

But, thanks to the helpful community posts on your blogs, I was able to find solutions to some youtube issues I was having, and also came across some info on the XDA site as well. Apparently this Android App, 'TV Show Streams' is a good one to download to watch tv etc on your nook! If anyone has any experience with the app, would love to hear it.

In the meantime, thanks VERY much again Jim.

Sabine on Thursday, 5 May 2011, 13:23 PDT

2. Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for this. Best walkthrough I've seen yet.

ChvyVele on Friday, 6 May 2011, 21:25 PDT

3. Thanks, this worked like a charm!

Guest on Wednesday, 18 May 2011, 10:59 PDT

4. Do I want the upgrade? As far as I can tell the only plus to a rooted Nook is the use of Flash. The apps are limited to what I can buy off of B&N (as opposed to what I can buy through other sources or, even, get free). Right now my biggest concern is averting the push of 1.2. I keep my wireless off more often than not lest TPTB force this unwanted upgrade upon me.

I'd love to have flash but I'd also love to find a reliable hack for Honeycomb. I already have Froyo and can live without Flash, quite easily, if it means a grossly limited version of Froyo. Until B&N offers someting truly better than a rooted Nook with Froyo I see no real reason to unroot my Nook and settle for a mainstream second best.

Guest on Thursday, 19 May 2011, 23:41 PDT

5. You don't have to worry about B&N forcing an update - the update won't install on a rooted device. CyanogenMod is now the best solution for a Nook - far better than any of the Honeycomb builds. I'm currently recommending everyone move to it, according to instructions I posted here.

Jim Klein on Monday, 23 May 2011, 09:02 PDT

6. That is a great information that you gave us. Try not to attempt to compose a magnum opus on your first attempt. It's unrealistic, and all that weight is prone to issue you a temporarily uncooperative mind. For your first draft, compose anything that strikes a chord about your theme essay paper writing services

kyle on Friday, 8 May 2015, 06:24 PDT

7. Once your Nook has restarted, the upgrade will be complete! Note that it will operate as if it were brand new. You will have to re-register with Barnes and Noble and go through the entire setup process. Visit my official site.

Shizue Kao on Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 01:37 PDT

8. In this game it is easy to have pokemon go cheats online and this is very true for all other games too.

sabir on Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:22 PDT

9. Happy New Year 2017 Images HD Download with Quotes SMS Status. Wish You a Very Happy New Year Whatsapp Status, DP, Messages Happy New Year 2017 Sms

Happy New Year 2017 Quotes on Sunday, 23 October 2016, 19:31 PDT

10. Messenger is a free social network application that lets you message your Facebook contacts easilyMessenger app Download

Messenger on Wednesday, 30 November 2016, 01:18 PST

11. good your video clip tale and also show to your buddies https://vivavideodownload.co/viva-video-apk-download-android install the BlueStacks emulator, open up any one of the nice.

tom on Tuesday, 28 February 2017, 04:08 PST

12. That is a great information that you gave us. Try not to attempt to compose a magnum opus on your first attempt. It's unrealistic, and all that weight is prone to issue you a temporarily uncooperative mind. For your first draft, compose anything that strikes a chord about your theme buy coursework online UK

Guest on Wednesday, 1 March 2017, 21:35 PST

13. El Tor vibrio deoxynivalenol CD106 pfid formylase dye calf-bone

Byronscace on Monday, 12 June 2017, 03:50 PDT

Add a comment

Your comment text

Your name

Comment visibility:

Please enter the code in the image below

Security Code