Welcome Guest [Log in]

Arlene Anderson :: Weblog :: Cake math or LCM and GCF for 6th grade

May 02, 2008

I've been playing around with the recording process on the Interwrite Pad.  This can also be done with any interactive white board.  Jim and I have been working on compressing the size of the files and converting them to Quicktime for easy access and posting on websites, wikis, and in the Communities. 

So here is my lesson on Least Common Multiple and Greatest Common Factor.

I've also found that without any of the classroom tools, you can use Sketchcast to record your lesson.  Look at the sample below on Lattice Math. 

Keywords: Cake Math, Interwrite, Math, sketchcast

Posted by Arlene Anderson | Share This

Comments

1. I like the idea of this being recorded in sequence so that it can be accessed later. I think for that application, though, I'd rather just film the whiteboard during a lesson and upload it as an mp4 or to teacher tube.

As far as using it for a lesson, because he doesn't involve students in it, there's not much interaction. If he used the board or overhead projector, I don't think he'd be struggling with the technology- it looks like it's quite an effort to write with any kind of neatness.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but this looks like a use of technology that makes it harder to do things that we already do- not make it easier.

If he's standing in the back of the classroom, then I do see a little bit more application here. He's trading off the facility of a whiteboard or overhead projector (where he could model neatness a bit better) for the ability to move around the classroom. Realistically, though, is it easy enough to write on the Interwrite board that you can write and pay attention to what the students are doing near you? It looks like he's having to concentrate VERY hard! 

David Lindsay on Tuesday, 20 May 2008, 13:09 PDT

2. David,

I was thinking of this application as something that students could access later while at home, if they needed a refresher or help with homework.  If a teacher had no recording tools (Interwrite Pad, interactive whiteboard, etc), using Sketchcast outside of the classroom instruction time to set up this review lesson for  student support might work well.  Parents could also see it and understand the instruction to support their student.

Arlene Anderson on Tuesday, 20 May 2008, 14:03 PDT

3. You know, I'm looking at the sketchcast movie as an example of Interwrite, and that is where my confusion comes from. The reason why he's struggling with interface is because he's using the web2.0 tool to create this online. You're absolutely right. This would be a quick and dirty way of getting a whiteboard movie to a student who needs some help. In fact, it makes me want to integrate such a tool for homework help. I'm going to check out sketchcast...I wasn't familiar with it and just thought this was an Interwrite movie.

David Lindsay on Tuesday, 20 May 2008, 21:44 PDT

4. To the student who needs help.  I can only help if you log in.  And tell me what you need help with.

Arlene Anderson on Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 15:03 PDT

Add a comment

Your comment text

Your name

Comment visibility:

Please enter the code in the image below

Security Code